All series raced today for Day 2 of World Cup Series 1 at Trofeo Princesa Sofía in Palma. Here’s today’s wrap-up.
In ILCA7 (Men Laser), British Michael Beckett (4 pts) takes the lead finishing 1&2 in today’s races. Cypriot Pavlos Kontides (4 pts) is provisionally 2nd in front of French Jean-Baptist Bernaz (5 pts) winner of the last race in the Red group.
In ILCA6 (Women Laser), Canadian Sarah Douglas (3 pts) won all three races in the Yellow group to take the lead. Hungarian Maria Érdi (7 pts) and Dutch Maxime Jonker (9 pts) are standing behind. Polish Agata Barwinska (9 pts) came back strong winning Race 3 of the Blue group and ending the day in 4th.
There were no changes in 470 (mixed dinghy) and Italian duo Giacomo Ferrari/ Bianca Caruso still leads (4 pts) in front of Spain’s Jordi Xammar/ Nora Brugman (5 pts) and Australian’s Nia Jerwood/ Conor Nicholas (7 pts).
It was the first day of racing for 49er and 49erFX. In the men’s series, French pair Erwan Fischer/ Clément Pequin (2 pts) are top of the fleet after winning both races in the Red group. There are followed by Germany’s Jakob Meggendorfer/ Andreas Spranger and Norway’s Mathias Berthet/ Jeppe Nilsen both with 5 points.
In women’s, it was and will be a tight combat between Dutch World Champion Odile Van Aanholt/ Annette Duetz (3 pts) and Brazilian Olympic Champion pair Martine Grael/ Kahena Kunze (3 pts). Italy’s Carlotta Omari/ Sveva Carraro (5 points) are in 3rd place.
It was also the first day in Nacra17 and two Italian boats are leading: Olympic Champions Ruggero Tita/ Caterina Banti (2 pts) and Gianluigi Ugolini/ Maria Giubilei (4 pts). With 4 points too, Finnish duo Sinem Kurtbay/ Akseli Keskinen is in 3rd.
Conditions were still strong today (+25 knots). Tomorrow should be less windy (around 15 knots).
DID YOU KNOW?
Trofeo Princesa Sofia is an SSL 1000-point event that counts for SSL Ranking.
- Competitions are classified into eight categories
- Each category is granted a number of points to be awarded to the athletes, from 10 to 4000 points – 1000 points at Trofeo Princesa Sofia.
- SSL points are awarded to account for 100% for the first year, 50% for the second year, and 0% for the third year
- The athletes’ six best results are taken into account according to the system mentioned above (and all local regattas)
- All athletes who complete a round of a regatta included in the Ranking obtain at least one point